Monday, February 13, 2012

All Things

I have had so many Scriptures that have taken on such deep meaning during my desert times. Right up on the top of the list is Romans 8:28. I'm sure many of you could quote this verse right now. I first memorized it way back in elementary school, I'm sure! I even learned it to a cute little peppy Sunday School song. It's sounds so great and cozy, but so many times we can use this verse to trick ourselves into thinking our life should be nothing but roses because we have Christ!

"And we know all things work together for good, to them that love the Lord, to those who are called according to his purpose." Please allow me to pick this verse apart word by word.

"And we" This pronoun usage is very important. It includes the reader. It doesn't say "and pastors know" or "and only mature Christians." The usage of the word "we" makes this verse immediately personal.

"And we know" This is an absolute. It doesn't say "we think" or "we hope." It leaves no room for doubt.

"And we know all things" Again, an absolute word. You know that saying, "all means all and that's all all means!!"

"And we know all things work" This word "work" is loaded. When the Dr. that delivered Kristen was preparing me for what labor would be like, he said something that has stuck with me all these years. He said that it is called "labor" for a reason. If it was supposed to be easy, it would be called "a walk in the park!" The very word "work" denotes that the task will not be easy.

"And we know all things work together" Scripture does not say each individual thing is good, but promises that circumstances will weave together.

"And we know all things work together for good" This is where the rubber meets the road. So many times we think this means all things are going to be good. It says "for good." Was my debilitating hand injury good? No, but it worked for my good by making me lean on my Lord more!!

"And we know all things work together for good, to them that love the Lord, to them who are called according to his purpose." I am so NOT going to get into the theology of election. Someone else can have that debate on their blog!!!!! What is unmistakable in this last phrase is the comfort it gives to Christians. God gave this verse specifically to comfort His people!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment